You’ve likely spent more time in your backyard than usual this year. Have you noticed any things about it that you want to change? Or do you have a new build and are looking for ideas on designing a yard from scratch? Whether you’re starting fresh or remodeling, we have some ideas for creating a backyard with safety in mind.
There are many things to consider when remodeling a backyard with safety in mind. With the help of a contractor and landscaper, you discuss your dreams for your space and find out what’s doable. When it comes to materials and layout, we have some tips.
Best Products for Backyards
Do you have kids or pets at home? Will they have access to the backyard when you’re not able to watch them at all times? Then here are some things to consider when it comes to the best products and materials for your backyard.
- Non-toxic vegetation – Be sure that the plants you use in your backyard remodel are non-toxic to the people and creatures who will come in contact with them. Sure, you may love a certain flower because it attracts a pollinator you want to see in your yard, but is it harmful to your four-legged friends?
- Age-appropriate playground – If you want to create an engaging play area in your yard, make sure it’s the right challenge for your children’s ages. Additionally, think about the best material to put under the playground; you could choose from playground sand, wood chips, or synthetic products.
- Pools and hot tubs – It’s a given that many families enjoy spending time together around the pool. But, do you have adequate space for the necessary safety precautions? Talk with your contractor about the fencing and gates your pool provider specifies for the swimming pool you’ve chosen.
Utah Landscaping Materials
Now that we’ve discussed some general backyard design ideas, what about Utah-specific landscaping materials? Depending on where you live, you have a lot of options. Some climates benefit from lower-maintenance xeriscaping, while others can support more thirsty landscaping.
- Xeriscaping – This is a popular landscaping design that involves drought-tolerant plants. You can use a mixture of rocks, gravel, pavers, sand, and vegetation to create the perfect backyard oasis. Use these materials and more to create a focal point in your backyard, such as a water fountain or firepit.
- Climate-appropriate vegetation – Utah is lucky to experience the four seasons in most areas, so consult with an expert for your zone. Regardless of what plants you incorporate in your backyard remodel, consider using Asphalt Materials for complementary design elements.
Where to Start
If you’re not sure where to start, our team can help! Contact Asphalt Materials if you have questions about which products may be right for your backyard.